Thursday, April 30, 2009

Liner Notes: Exciting News!

April has been a month full of distractions, unfortunately keeping me from making much headway on this project.   The month of May will definitely see great progress on all its aspects!

The excitement for me this week is that I received the completed liner notes for the new CD from the esteemed Grieg expert and scholar, William Halvorson.  (For those unfamiliar with the term "liner notes", I am referring to the background information  about each piece on the recording, written for the CD booklet insert.)  I met "Bill" at the Grieg Festival in Winter Park, Florida, this past January.  He gave a wonderful talk on Grieg's vocal music, entitled "Grieg's Favorite Grieg Songs".  The text of this presentation has been made available at the Grieg Festival website.  (This website is a generous offering of many of the musical and scholarly presentations from that enriching weekend event.  If you haven't already taken a look and a listen, I really encourage you to do so.)

I feel so honoured that Dr. Halvorson would agree to being a part of my project.  He is the author of many important books on the subject of Grieg and Scandinavian music.  He has also done the English translations of the Grieg songs for the Peters Urtext edition.   I am incredibly grateful that a man of such expertise and international reputation would be so willing to contribute his efforts to this recording!

No comments:

Post a Comment